Thursday, February 4, 2010

Apple Chutney. Oh my!

I may be dating myself but I'll always remember Peter Brady, from the Brady Bunch show, lisping Pork Chops and Apple sauce in his best Cagney impression.  When I think of pork chops that line goes through my head every time.  In fact, you can see Peter say this famous Brady Bunch line on youtube.com. 

So what does apple chutney have to do with applesauce?  Think of it as the grown up version of the stuff spooned out of a jar.  Apple Chutney pairs perfectly with pan seared pork chops and elevates a quick week night meat to new heights. Yum!

Ingredients:
3 granny smith apples, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, minced
1/2 a red onion, chopped
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp jalapeno jelly (optional)
1 tbsp butter
salt and pepper

The Method:
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.  Add the jalapeno and onion and saute until softened. Add the remaining ingredients and cover with a lid.  Simmer for 5-10 minutes until the apples are slighty soft but not mushy.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment