Thursday, August 13, 2009

My inspiration

My first post ever! My inspiration to start this blog came from my Mom using the bubble and squeak (B&S) phrase while I was growing up but it hit home this week when my sister called asking how to cook for her family of seven and save money at the same time. I put together a grocery list and recipes for a weeks worth of dinners using the B&S method I've used for years. Here are the first 2 recipes:

Dinner 1 - Apricot Glazed Pork Chops with Roasted Potatoes & Carrots (Bubble)
Ingredients:
6-8 thick cut boneless pork chops
4-6 yukon potatoes
bag of baby carrots
Apricot Jam
Dijon Mustard
Soy Sauce
olive oil
Lawry's Season Salt
Pepper

Pre-heat oven to 375
Cut potatoes into 1 inch pieces and place on a foil lined cookie sheet(for easy clean up). Drizzle w/ olive oil, lawry's and pepper. Mix with hands to make sure all potatoes are covered with olive oil. Put in oven. Stir every 10 minutes or so to make sure they don't stick. Bake for approx 35-45 minutes.

Prep carrots the same way as potatoes. Bake for approximately 15 minutes after the pork chops come out.

If using thick cut pork chops, first cut pork chops in half horizontally. Make 1 pork chop per person plus 6 for leftovers for next dinner (Squeak).

Make sauce for glazing: Mix 1/2 cup of apricot jelly with 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustared and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.

Season pork chops with Lawry's and pepper

Brown chops in skillet in batches for 2-3 minutes per side. Put all chops on baking sheet, brush with glaze and roast for about 10 minutes; turn over and glaze again. Check for doneness. Once done tent with foil for about 15 minutes.

Dinner 2 - Pork Fried Rice and Stir Fried Grean Beens (Squeak)
Ingredients:
Leftover pork chops
Long Grain white rice
1/2 lb green beans
carrots (about 1/2 cup when diced)
celery (about 1/2 cup when diced)
red onion (about 1/2 cup when diced)
2-3 tbls soy sauce
2 garlic cloves
5 tbls peanut or vegetable oil
3 eggs


Make a large batch of white rice, follow package directions
Prep while rice is cooking: Dice leftover pork chops into small cubes, dice red onion, celery & carrot.
Mince garlic.
Crack eggs into a bowl and scramble lightly
Prep green beans; remove ends and cut in half

Once prep is complete and rice is cooling...

Put 1-2 tbls of oil in large pan. Stir fry the onions, celery, carrots for 2-3 minutes; remove from pan when crisp tender.
Stir fry pork until crispy.
Add garlic to pork and stir fry 1-2 minutes
Add onions, carrots, celery back in with pork & garlic.
Move the pork & vegetables to the side of the pan. Add 1 tsp oil if pan is dry & scramble eggs in the pan.
Add rice and stir fry until everything is mixed in for about 2-3 minutes.
Add soy sauce to taste. Stir to combine.
Turn heat to low.

To stir fry the green beans:
Add 1 tbls oil to pan.
Heat the oil over medium high heat.
Add green beans and stir fry 5 minutes.
Add pepper and 2 tbls soy sauce to pan & cover.
Cook until green beans are crisp tender...about 5 more minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I am the sister that called for the help in this blog. I have to say that I have a big family and become almost paralyzed and overwhelmed when it comes to grocery shopping and worse when I do, I buy a ton of mismatched ingredients and the food goes bad. I have stood in the middle of my kitchen and tried to think of what I can make and 9 out of 10 times I order a pizza or I go for something frozen or I buy a already cooked chicken, something that sends me or my husband to the store every night, where we spend another 50 bucks buying stuff to make each night.
    So one night I was extremely frustrated because my husband and I were trying to make a list for grocery shopping so we could try to save money and inevitably we would have given up and just do what we always do. (stated above) ha ha ha. Well immediately my sister jumped into action and began explaining to me how she does this bubble and squeak. She gave me each ingredient for the grocery shopping and she gave me the first two recipes.
    OMG, we bought exactly what was on the list and it is now day 5 and we have had the best week ever! The kids and my husband went crazy for my dinners. (They may of just been grateful they were eating) I loved the shocked and pleased look on their faces when they sat down to eat and it was "delicious". Comments were made such as, wow Mom you cooked the whole dinner? Also, we ate before 7pm, which is unusual. We are usually finishing up dinner and sending kids to bed right after...
    This has saved me my sanity and has caused me to be the biggest hit to my family! It may sound dumb but my life feels at peace right now because it means so much to me to be able to feed my family and well. They are proud of me and that is the best feeling!
    Thanks Kel, your the best sister I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli, just wanted to get in on this blog and tell you how proud I am of you. I am a meat and potato cooker and you have surpassed me. Also I am so happy you have helped your sister, as the family is thankful that she is cooking for them.
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete